I am my second semester of college, and I have learned a lot since August when my first semester began. A lot has happened since then, and let’s get real, not all of it was good. College has been some of the best and worst times of my life. I would not trade these past few months for anything. I made great new friends, let go of insanely toxic people, and got more comfortable with myself than I ever was before I came to my school.
In honor of turning 19 soon, I will be doing a 19 day 19 article series on this site, and this is Day One. Here are 19 things I wish I knew before college.
19 Things I Wish I Knew Before College
1. Don’t be afraid to talk to people.
2. People from high school don’t have to follow you to college.
3. College is so different from high school in every way.
4. Getting lost on the first day is okay.
5. Don’t be scared to ask for directions to buildings.
6. Sit alone at lunch, and no one will care so you shouldn’t either.
7. Most people are as nervous as you.
8. Friends will come when it’s time for them too.
9. Don’t worry if you don’t meet your soulmate in the first few months. Most don’t. I haven’t.
10. High school relationships should stay in high school, learned that the hard way.
11. Classes will be harder than you think.
12. Don’t party all the time because you will regret it.
13. Friends can come and go so don’t try to force a friendship.
14. One bad friend can hurt your relationship will all of the other friends.
15. It is okay to drop a class to save your GPA.
16. Sleep is important.
17. Mental health and overall wellness is far more important than any class.
18. Don’t be afraid to cut someone out of your life.
19. College can be the best time of your life if you let it.
What Do You Think of My List?
There are so many more things that I have learned since I started college. If I added them all to this list, the list would be hundreds of pages long. I know I forgot a few important items that didn’t make the 19 number cut. I am looking forward to continuing my college career, and if anyone else is starting college, let me know in the comments if you want to add anything.